A PSA for pup owners

In light of these hot and humid "dog days" of summer, I'd like to share a friendly PSA with pup owners. Don't leave your dog in the car. Seriously, don't do it. And having the window cracked doesn't help. 

I wasn't always this wise. When I was a young pup, I would pout when Mom left me home alone. After a few hours, she'd come back, beaming with shopper's delight. She couldn't hide it. I knew where she'd been. She was clearly on a Costco high. 

Jealous, I'd give her a glare as she carried everything in from the car. Sure, seeing her unpack something for me would cushion the blow but it still hurt. 

"Here Murphy, have a treat," she'd say. I'd quickly snag the treat and slip away to my spot on the couch. If a dog can give the silent treatment, that was it. 

You see, a car ride is the ultimate adventure to a dog. Cars speeding by [ZOOM!] 🚗💨; buildings, trees and people everywhere; and nothing standing between me & Mom and the open road. Add the anticipation of where we could be going and you have a recipe for one happy pup! 

It's only natural to want to be included in such an adventure. Doesn't matter how quick the trip; short and long rides bring the same excitement. Every ride was fun and I wanted IN. 

Now I love the summertime sun but I'm also the first to admit that once I start panting, I want INside: somewhere cool with shade and a bowl of ice water. A hot car doesn't offer that. 

According to the National Humane Society, "When it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside, the temperature inside your car can heat up to 99 degrees Fahrenheit within 10 minutes." (Mom may have looked that up for me.) 

So next time you need milk, eggs or another "quick" thing, leave your dog at home. He may not thank you and he'll probably pout, but he'll be safe. 

Just remember to buy him a treat.

And that's what I'm mulling over today. 

Your friend,
Murphs

If you're outside today, remember to bring water! 💦

Comments

Popular Posts